Medieval Romance Novels
While we already have an article on some of the best romance novels from the historical genre, these books are from all different time periods and all different types of locations. But inside the historical romance literature genre, many other small categories can be discovered. One of these is what we have dedicated this page to medieval romances.
Obviously from its title, it pretty easy to discern that these are going to be romance stories set in the medieval period. But while it may seem like there is not much variety in that, surprisingly, there is. The works on our list have settings that range from Scotland to England to Outremer, and feature protagonists which range from knights to Vikings, and from princesses to an accused witch. If you are interested in this period, we believe that there is a story on this list that will appeal to every type of reader.
Now this is not to say that this is the only place on our site where you can find stories from the medieval period, our best historical romance novels page includes a few, such as Anya Seton’s “Katherine” and Julie Garwood’s “Saving Grace”. “The Black Lyon” from author Jude Deveraux is set in the 1100s, and she has written a few others which are set at the end of the medieval era. For further details, browse our Jude Deveruax book list page. And don’t forget that our article on top classic romance novels includes some works from this era, including “Kristin Lavransdattar” which takes place in Norway in the 1300s, and the legend of “The Romance of Tristan and Iseult” has its genesis in this age, as well.
For our list here, we have tried to provide the general location and time period in which these stories are set. If it is not specified, we have not included any date. Also, the titles are arranged in chronological order based on the era in which the drama unfolds.
Medieval Romance Books
- Marie (The Fires of Gleannmara Series #1) by Linda Windsor (Ireland and Wales, 400s)
- Avalon by Anya Seton (England, 900s)
- Come the Morning by Shannon Drake (Scotland, 1100s)
- Dark Champion by Jo Beverley (England, 1100s)
- The Falcons of Montabard by Elizabeth Chadwick (Outremer, 1100s)
- The Conqueror by Brenda Joyce (England, mid-1000s)
- The Witch and the Warrior by Karyn Monk (Scotland, 1200s)
- This Is All I Ask by Lynn Kurland (Near the Scottish border, mid-1200s)
- On a Highland Shore by Kathleen Givens (Scotland, mid-1200s)
- By Arrangement by Madeline Hunter (England, 1300s)
- Border Moonlight by Amanda Scott (Scottish border, late 1300s)
- The Angel and the Prince by Laurel O’Donnell (France and England, 1400s)
- The Silver Sword (Heirs of Cahira O’Connor) by Angela Elwell Hunt (Ireland, 1200s, to Prague 1400s, and also present day)
- The Warlord by Elizabeth Elliott (England)
- Through a Dark Mist by Marsha Canham (England)
Thank you for perusing our article on the best medieval romances! Do not hesitate to email us if we have left off your favorite, as we are always eager to hear about more books set in this period.